Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Just Beachy!

Disclosure: I gave up trying to put the pictures in order. Does anyone have a solution to make blogger easier??
I grew up going to Ocaloosa Island, Florida every summer with my Dad's family. My dad went every summer when he was a little boy too! So this was a big trip for Harper to go on! I have really fond memories of playing with my cousins on the beach! The "beach box" where we grew up staying blew away in a hurricane and was quickly replaced with a high rise complex. I guess that doesn't just happen in Texas!

When my dad started planning this trip he had high expectations because of all the summers he spend on the Emerald Coast. After lots of Internet surfing he found a place that was very comparable in Navarre, Florida. It is just 15 miles away from Ft. Walton/Destin. It was the only place sans high rises! He was determined to rent a house ON the beach! So when we arrived he was very pleased that we could walk out our door and onto the beach! I was very thankful because of all the things we toted to the beach for Harper!!
Our set-up

So our week at the beach was totally relaxing and blog-worthy! Here is the reader's digest version of our beach vacation!
Sunday
Sunday was our first real day at the beach. We drove in Saturday afternoon from Mobile, Alabama and got acquainted with our accommodations. We went to the store and got groceries for the week. Lets just say shopping as a family was very entertaining! I don't think I've ever had that much fun at Wal-mart! Then we spent the rest of the day at the beach. Harper loved it! Each morning my dad set up a tent in the shade and Harper played the day away. He liked to get into the water with his floaties or raft. He has gotten an occasional mouthful of salt water......therefore he has learned how to spit! Late Sunday night Aunt Heather flew in from Kansas City!
First walk to the beach

Monday/Tuesday
Something about the beach makes you sleep SO good! After a great nights sleep we woke up, had our usual egg whites and oatmeal breakfast, and then headed to the beach. We spent the day playing in the sand, floating, going on walks, splashing in the pool, and just vegging out on the beach! We would go in for lunch/nap and then go back out in the afternoon. Time went by so slowly at the beach. We went out for dinner at the East Bay Crab House hoping for some yummy seafood. Unfortunately, it left a lot to be desired. I think living on the Texas coast we are fortunate to eat tasty fish in Houston. After dinner Harper would entertain us with his dancing moves or golf skills. He is such a show-off!
Monkey See, Monkey Do
May I cut in?

Mother/Son dance

Wednesday
In the wee hours of the morning Dad, Cam, and Aunt Heather got up to go deep sea fishing! Harper, Mom, and I decided to sleep in and go into Destin for the day. We took Harper to the "Gulfarium," an imitation of Sea World. He was very interested in the Dolphins, or rather their balls. There were 3 balls hanging over the water. The dolphins would jump up and touch the ball with their nose. He would get so excited when they would do ball tricks. He is slightly obsessed with anything that resembles a ball. We also saw birds, alligators, sea lions, sharks, dolphins, and sting rays. I think the Dolphin show was definitely his favorite.


For lunch we met up with my mom's brother and his family. They just happened to be at the beach at the same time we were there. They had us over for a yummy lunch. Harper enjoyed playing with his cousins Will & Phoebe. Then it was nap time for Mr. Harper, but not before enjoying some Shakes Frozen Custard. My very favorite place to get ice cream!

The rest of the fam came home very sunburned and with a "boat-load" of fish! They brought home a lot of Red Snapper.

Thursday

Today we celebrated our 5 year anniversary! Cam got up early to go fishing in the bay with my dad. They have several intersting stories about the morning, I'll just say they left with 3 poles and came home with 2!! We hung out at the beach most of the morning and then got cleaned up for our date. We drove to Destin and did a little shopping before heading to Harbor Docks for dinner. We sat outside and listened to a fun band while enjoying our sushi. If you are ever in Destin you must eat here.

Friday

Boo, today was our last day in Navarre. We soaked up the sun one last day and tried to enjoy the ocean. The water was really gross. I think it had something to do with high tide. There was seaweed everywhere. I felt like I was swimming in an algae invested lake! It's hard to complain when the water was crystal clear the majority of the week. The waves were the biggest today so we enjoyed dodging the waves like kids. After several attempts of finding good seafood, we settled on BBQ for dinner. It was probably the best BBQ I've ever had. Who knew?!

Thanks Mom and Dad for a much needed and very relaxing trip!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun!! I use Live Writer to write my posts and it makes it much easier to add and move pictures. It's free, too.

Allyson, Cam, and Harper said...

Thanks Natalie! I am going to try it!