Tuesday, August 12, 2008

In Loving Memory of Nellean Boerstler

My sweet, sweet Grammy joined my Grandfather in Heaven on August 7, 2008. I already miss her. My Grandmother, wasn't just any grandmother, she was real. But the interesting thing is, that is wasn't really my real or "biological" grandmother. My mom's mom and dad passed away when my mom was in elementary school, so she went to live with her Aunt Nellean and Uncle Frank. They loved her unconditionally and accepted her as one of their own. That is exactly what they did to me. I never knew they weren't my "real" grandparents, until a distant second cousin told me in 2nd grade. I just couldn't understand!

Grammy was the type of person who welcomed everyone into her home. The more the merrier. I was the oldest grandchild, so for a while it was just me and Grammy; making cookies in the kitchen, playing hide and seek on the way home from the Pattie Ann, shopping at the Jo-Ann shop, and playing on the porch. Then my cousins were born and from then on there was always a full house. Grammy let us make a mess and never got on to us. She let us try on her clothes and make-up. When I was in town, we always had a slumber party. She'd let us build forts and tents and we'd stay up late laughing trying to fit 5 kids into a bed! She wasn't concerned if we were going to break things or ruin her "breakables." She had life figured out! She didn't sweat the small stuff, I have a lot I need to learn from her. Grammy always said, "This too shall pass." I need to remember that as I often fret about things of this world. Nothing here is eternal and Grammy new that.

I have the fondest memories at a little old house in Henryetta, Oklahoma. Thank you Grammy for your unconditional love. I love you!

1 comment:

jnhc99 said...

Such sweet words and memories. Your Grammy sounds like an awesome grandma. I am so thankful that we were blessed to both be left with such wonderful memories of our loving grandmothers. I know what it feels like to miss her. I still miss my Granny too.