Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"Try" athlon

It's official, I am training for a triathlon! It has been a life goal of mine for awhile and I figure it's either now or never! I have joined a triathlon club in The Woodlands called "I tri" so I'm going to give it a "TRY!" So far I have completed a week of training and I'm still excited. I joined the group a little late so I'm on week one while the team is on week 3. Hopefully I can catch up. I have started riding my bike and it makes me remember how much I love to ride! I grew up in Kingwood where there were over 80 miles of greenbelts. In the summers I would ride my bike all day every day. My friend Lindsay and I would meet almost every Sunday afternoon and ride the trails. It's been a little harder to ride in Montgomery since I live in a subdivision with no greenbelts. I'm going to have to get creative because I'm already getting bored with the scenery! Any ideas?

The swimming is going to be the hardest part of the triathlon. I attempted swim team in 5th grade and didn't excel! We are going to be swimming in a pond so this will be way different! I wonder if they'll let me wear floaties? I started swimming this week at the rec center and I've already gotten some lessons....sort of. I met a 75 year old man who was doing water aerobics while I swam laps. He would cheer me on, critique my technique, and attempted to model the correct way to breathe while doing the free style. He was a hoot!

The triathlon is May 2nd in The Woodlands. So 3 more months of training before I give this a "try!"

3 comments:

Becky Todd said...

Hey girl! Congrats for taking on this challenge! I am training as well, so I will see you out there! :)

Jacob and Emily said...

Hey - this is so exciting! I did my first tri 3 years ago and I loved every minute of it. You might want to try out some spin classes if you have a gym membership - they are a great way to train in doors and then maybe do an outside ride once or twice a week. When my friends and I trained we did three workouts of each discipline a week - which means doubling up on some days but that is actually really good. I guess your training group with help you with that. How fun! I wish I could train and do one this summer - maybe next summer! The swim for the CB&I Tri is not bad at all!! You will do great.

Jenni said...

YOU ARE CRAZY!