Sunday, May 3, 2009

500m.15miles.5k

Wow! I just completed my first triathlon. I have been so blessed to be apart of a triathlon team named I tri. Thanks to the help of Kevin Barr, an awesome man who gave so freely of himself and his resources, I did my first tri in 1 hour and 34 minutes! After months of swimming, biking, running, finding babysitters, juggling our schedules, and every thing else that has to get done, I did it!

I woke up at 5am this morning and headed to Northshore Park in the Woodlands. I was so nervous, but knew that I was prepared. I had done everything necessary to finish! As I arrived to the park I got body marked and went straight to the transition area. I set up my stuff by my bike and then nervously walked to the lake. The men went first so we got to watch them and get more nervous. Every 3 minutes waves of different age groups entered the water.


When it was my turn I nervously got in the cold, dirty, lake water and tread water until it was time to swim! I took it easy the first couple of minutes and tried to focus on my breathing. I can't even describe the feeling of racing in lake water. You can't see anything, no sense of direction, and people swimming all around you. I free styled the entire swim and didn't ingest too much lake water!

Allyson, Angela, Paige

The 500 meter swim in Lake Woodlands

Done Transition 1, off to get my bike
Next was the bike leg. To train for the bike portion of the tri, I usually had Harper in a trailer on the back of my bike. So the bike portion was a breeze. Kevin told me to average at least 18 miles an hour on the bike and I averaged 21.5! I guess you can fly minus 30 pounds! I definitely got passed my a 60 year old lady too! I guess the older you are the better equipment you can buy! I enjoyed the bike leg because The Woodlands is so beautiful. It reminded me of riding my bike in Kingwood when I was growing up. In between each transition I would hear GO COCONUT! It was my dad cheering me on! I'm pretty sure there was no one else with that nickname! (I have no idea where it came from)

Harper eating breakfast after an EARLY morning



Harper hanging with Addy
After the 15 mile bike came the run. I was so nervous about the run because I could hardly feel my feet at this point. I racked my bike and then headed full speed for the starting line of the run. I raced for about the first mile, then my feet started burning. I had decided to race with socks and because of a blister I had gotten the week before. Next time I will run with so socks! I got a rush of adrenaline the last half mile and it started to sink in that I had almost completed my first triathlon! I finished strong and just as I did I heard, Go Coconut!

Where is my bike???

The Start of the 5K

Being silly for my dad!

Trying to Finish Strong


My fans, minus Cam


Thanks Coach Barr

Team I-Tri

Wow, what a ride this has been! Without the help of God, Cam, friends, and my parents I would not have been able to do this. So Thank you so much for your encouragement! I can check this off my list of to dos! I have also made some sweet new friends too!!

9 comments:

Jenni said...

Congratulations girl! Great pictures! Fun seeing you last night! :)

Julie said...

I'm so proud of you!

Becky Todd said...

You did AWESOME! It was funny seeing you leading up and during the tri! We need to do another one soon! :)

jnhc99 said...

YEA ALLY!!!! I wish I could have been there...I'd have made you a big ole sign and I'd have been yelling right beside your Dad. You did so awesome! I am so proud of you! I'll be sure and tell everyone that my adventurous friend Ally has now conquered a triathalon as well! What an inspiration you are to those of us who are scared to death of such things! I'm so proud! - Jenna

Angela Banzhaf said...

yay! gave me chills reading. So proud of you and so happy to have you as my new friend!!!

can't wait for our next tri together!

Ally said...

WOW! I am so impressed! Way to go!

sally said...

We are so proud of you, Coconut!!
We were pulling for you every minute! We know you can do anything you set your heart and mind to do!! Mom and Dad

Ashley said...

Congratulations! What an accomplishment! You Rock!!

Justin and Lisa Holcomb said...

yea! i'm so proud of you! my sister and her hubby have done several and justin was going to do one this year and things got crazy. i've always wanted to--maybe you've inspired me! you did great and i love the pictures!